If you have a question for the Preppy Girl email it to me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
When I was younger I admired the preps in my school. I was not known. Now that I am older and life is lot better then those days I want to be more preppy. Can you help me become preppy? Are there books or anything that I would be set to become a preppy adult. I need to know everything from what to wear (wardrobe), not to wear, accessories, everything?
Dear Need Help,
It sounds like your inner prep is just bursting to get out. Summer is a great time to prepify your wardrobe. The easiest way to do that is to just add color. I like to pair brightly colored shorts and capris with lighter colored or white shirts. A few of my favorite color combinations are navy blue and lime green, lavender and white, pink and yellow, and the ever popular pink and green. Sun dresses are another great buy and so easy to pull together. For chilly evenings, drape a cardigan around your shoulders. Finish off the look with a pair of espadrilles or dressy flip-flops. For accessories, a pearl bracelet is a must. Couple it with a few bangles. In the summer, I like to minimize my load by carrying little clutch handbags. I am a big fan of the basket weave bags. For work, I like to carry a larger tote to stash all of my stuff. Lilly Pulitzer is a great place to gather fashion inspiration. For more preppy tips check out Preppy Style 101 and Summer Staples.
My favorite preppy book is the Official Preppy Handbook. I also like to look to fashion icons such as Audry Hepburn, Katharine Hepburn, Grace Kelly, Jackie Kennedy, and the fictional Charlotte York from Sex in the City.
I hope that helps!
I hope everyone had a wonderful Christmas! I just wanted to show off the adorable Lilly Christmas Stocking I received this year, a wonderful surprise from my neighbor. Cheers!
My lovely Lilly Stocking
Whether cooling at the country club or chilling on the beach, here are a few preppy essentials to get you through this summer heat.
Franklin+Gower Coastal Cool
- Nantucket Reds – Critter shorts, pants, polos and more
- Retro School T’s – Preferably of the Ivy League
- Lacoste – Great for those hot weather tennis matches and golf games
- Shorts – F+G makes the coolest customizable bermudas
- Seersucker – Why don’t more men wear seersucker suits?
- Vineyard Vines tie – A staple at preppy summer weddings
- Madras – It goes with everything
- Grosgrain, needle point, & club belts – Can’t leave home with out one.
- Boat Shoes – Ahoy!
Lilly Skirt and J. Crew Grosgrain Ribbon Flip Flops
- Lilly – Skirts, dresses, bathing suits, you name it, Lilly makes it pretty.
- A little white dress
- Madras patchwork skirt – A summer essential that never goes out of style
- Navy Blue anything
- Plenty of polos
- A classic tote bag ala L.L. Bean – Perfect for storing your snacks, books, and beach blanket.
- J. Crew flip-flops – Simply the best
- A floppy straw hat- A must have for the beach
- Jackie O. Sunglasses – The bigger the better
- Sailor Stripes: H&M, J. Crew, Old Navy, everyone is making them this year, it’s a perfect time to stock up!
Stripes Galore at H&M
For more preppy fashion check out Preppy Style 101: Dressing the Part and Preppy Essentials.
What distinguishes a prep from others? It is their unique sense of style of course. Total preppies can be spotted from miles away due to their varying shades of pink and green plumage.
Preppy Style Basics:
- Hand-me-down clothing is always cooler than store-bought originals
- Pastels are a must
- The more conservative, the better – preppy clothing never goes out of style
- Never mix prints with critters
- Madras is for summer time and vacation wear only (click here to learn more)
- Too many logos displayed on your clothing is considered gaudy, monogrammed clothing is key
- grosgrain belts and ribbons can improve any outfit
- synthetic materials are for athletic wear only
- puffy down vests are a staple of the preppy winter wardrobe
Staples of Preppy Fashion:
- Burberry – for outerwear, their quilted jacket is a must for all preppy gals
- J. Crew – casual and work wear
- Lilly Pulitzer – bathing suits, dresses, handbags, skirts, capris, she has your vacation covered
- Vineyard Vines – great preppy accessories
- Brooks Brothers – business wear for men and women
- Jos. A. Bank – more men’s suits
- South Moon Under – for the fashionable preppy
- Lacoste – for active wear