If you have a question for the Preppy Girl email it to me at email@example.com.
Dear Preppy Girl,
I’ve recently become obsessed with everything preppy. I spend hours on the Internet reading preppy blogs and looking at preppy outfits! Unfortunately, my closet doesn’t match my mindset. I’m a 15 year old girl and I’ll be a sophomore in the fall, and I want a fabulous preppy wardrobe for the new school year without breaking the bank. What are some essential and versatile pieces (clothing, accessories, and shoes!) that I should purchase over the summer?
Also, are there any great stores that have preppy items for less? I personally love J.Crew and Ralph Lauren, but there’s only so much that I can afford!
Dear Preppy Fashionista,
Thanks so much for your lovely email, its great to hear from you. Now is a great time to start thinking about fall fashion. Red, green, and brown are supposed to be the hot colors this fall. As for essential fall attire, here is a list of my favorite timeless prep pieces.
- Ballet flats – I am a big fan of these comfy and stylish shoes. I recommend at least two pairs – one in black and one in a funky color like lime green, gold, or a leopard print.
- Boots – Perfect with skirts and leggings
- Shrunken Cardigan Sweater – Looks great with both jeans, corduroys, and skirts
- Long Cabled Cardigan Sweater – Look for neutral colors like off white, beige, and black. They go with everything
- Button Down Shirts – Great for layering. Roll up the sleeves for the preppy look
- Corduroys – Brown is a very versatile color
- Jeans – Look for a dark rinse
- Corduroy Mini Skirt – Preppy transitional piece that will take you from Fall to Winter
- Scarfs – Add a pop of color to your outfit, they are must-have fall accessory
- Tote bags – a stylish way to store all of your school books.
- Bangle Bracelets
And as for preppy looks for less, I recommend doing a bit of bargain hunting. Try hitting up Marshalls and T.J. Maxx, both stores are known for stocking brand name clothes at more affordable prices. You might have to hunt around, but that is part of the fun. Nordstrom Rack also has some great preppy fashions. The Goodwill and secondhand stores are another preppy goldmine. You never know what type of cute handbags and accessories you will find.
Let me know if you have any more questions! Good luck with school!