What makes frat boys graduate from beer? The allure of Madmen crossed with the stately enticement of the amber-hued ambrosia named for a country; aka Scotch. Distilled in Scotland for hundreds of years, Scotch is a favorite at east coast cocktail parties. Steeped in tradition, even the bottle reads like the exclusive code befitting of a fraternity: vatted malt, blended, Campbeltown, Islay. If the word “Scotch” is missing from the bottle, it’s not a true Scotch and don’t even think of picking up a bottle of scottish “whiskey,” which is a likely to be distilled in Ireland or the United States.
So, if you are looking for a last minute gift for the man in your life, I recommend stopping by the liquor store and buying a bottle of Scotch.
A few of the preppy Scotches:
- Johnnie Walker Black Label: this blended Scotch even has a guy sporting a kilt on the label
- Dewar’s White Label: another tartan-clad bottle, this famous recipe has been around for over one hundred years
- Bowmore Single Malt: this prestigious Scotch, a favorite with sailors, comes from the second oldest distillery in Scotland
- The Famous Grouse: for the hunter in your life
- Justerini & Brooks: J&B, need I say more?
- Cutty Sark: named for the famous clipper
- The Macallan: a bottle of their vintage Scotch sold for over $50,000
- The Glens: Glenlivet, Glenfiddich, Glenkinchie, etc.
- and the list goes on…