If you have a question for the Preppy Girl email it to me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Dear Preppy Girl,
So I was at the mall yesterday and I saw a sign saying all ballet flats were 40% off. Naturally, I could not resist. However, the flats I bought did not get the sale price. What’s the difference between flats and ballet flats?
– Confused in Connecticut
I am sorry to hear about your shopping faux pas. Just the other day, my friend Cheryl, the fashion expert, was telling me the difference between flats and ballet flats. Here are a few things to looks for:
- Ballet flats are a classically styled shoe, dating back to the 16th century and are always rounded in the toe.
- Ballet flats can come in a variety of colors but they are typically made from a soft material, like silk or suede.
- Ballet flats do not have a heel.
- Unlike ballet flats, regular flats can have small heels, think 1/4 of an inch.
- The toe can come in a variety of shapes, it may be pointy, square, open, or even peep toe.